Head bowed in humiliation, running sweat stung my eyes. "Defeated in the Whitney Portal again" I thought as James prepared the double ropes for a long rappel. I had high hopes at 5:00 that morning as I pointed the car towards the Eastside Sierra. I have had my eye on Ghostrider (5.10c) since my first glimpse of the PremiereButtress fifteen months ago. Over a thousand vertical feet of gorgeous white granite, it beckons from across the Mt. Whitney hiker's trail. It climbs a brilliant, soaring line toward the sun.
James on the second rappel of our retreat
Only two pitches into the climb I had lost my grip and my nerve
The featureless face of the 10(c) crux seemed insurmountable after my second lead fall
The ignominy of the "bail 'biner"
Driving back towards the desert floor, Lone Pine Peak came into view reminding James and me of the cold night we spent on a rock ledge last year. We are 0 and 2 in the portal but we'll be back. You can't lose them all...can you? (You'll have to click on the pic to see our high point and bivy site)
1 comment:
Wow... Yeah, and I thought white maidens was intense... Creo que tus juevos estan muy grande!!
Post a Comment